No "Sanctuary" here -- but rather a House of Horrors!
We were told we would be greeted and handed keys upon arrival. Instead no one was present, the locked gates had been plowed in by the local snowplow and the owner would not answer his phone. Thankfully we had the owners' second address and were able to get the keys. More than an hour later, and well after dark, the main gate fell on us while trying to open it! Once inside the gate we had to shovel our way to the front door, with the owners' vehicle parked outside of carport preventing the gate from being fully opened. Despite the assertion that there are 2 bedrooms, there is only 1 bedroom accessible. The 2nd bedroom was locked and another room, while unlocked, was empty and emanated a disgusting stench. Both rooms are lined in plastic sheeting -- why? An inaccessible porch is similarly wrapped in foil lining from the inside. Worst of all is the former 1/2 bath which the owner has attempted to convert into some kind of "lizard den." When picking up the keys, we were informed of geckos and frogs in that room, and were asked to feed them live crickets and mealworms. We very reluctantly agreed . . . but we're totally appalled to discover empty plastic bins and buckets full of rotting food and compost (and who knows what else?), rips and tears in the foil sheeting lining the room, and no animals to be found. The stench was unbearable and plagued us the rest of our stay. In addition, a tub full of mealworms also inhabited the fridge -- alongside rotted food. Again, the stench was unbearable. We spent two days cleaning the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom and never made use of the rest of the house, the other rooms being mostly barren of furniture and appallingly filthy and disgusting! The kitchen window actively leaks over the dining room table. Also undisclosed: a massive heap of garbage, furniture, appliances, etc., marring one's view of the backyard! The two sofa beds advertised in the listing appear to be part of this pile. A can of gasoline sits nearby. All in all, this property is completely unsuitable for healthy human habitation and would likely be condemned if the appropriate authorities were called to inspect it. Who knows what kind of health hazards the rest of the otherwise charming neighborhood might be exposed to on account of such gross negligence!? It's no wonder the neighbors look upon this property and its owners with such disdain. -- If you value your health and sanity, run far away from this little House of Horrors!!!