Detroit Lakes Motels for the Frugal Traveler
There are more than 43 hotels and other lodging choices in Detroit Lakes, though you'll find just 4 low-cost motels. These less expensive accommodations can help you cut costs when compared with traditional hotels, which have more amenities but ones you may never use.
Fun fact: Motels in the U.S. boomed after World War II with the popularity of car travel and road trips, peaking in the 1960s with over 60,000 properties. When you stay at a motel, you'll usually access your room directly from the parking lot.
Below are a few of Expedia customers' recommended Detroit Lakes motels to choose from:
Super 8 by Wyndham Perham
- Enjoy access to the business center, and freebies including breakfast, WiFi, and parking.
Eastwood Inn Of Wadena
- A restaurant and free parking are available during your stay, along with room amenities like a flat-screen TV.
Budget Host Inn
- Enjoy access to the picnic area, and freebies including breakfast, WiFi, and parking.
- Free WiFi and free parking are available during your stay, along with room amenities like a flat-screen TV.
What to Do in Detroit Lakes
Those who've visited Detroit Lakes like the lakeside. Take time for sightseeing and enjoy all there is to do in this family-friendly area.
These are some of the parks and outdoorsy places:
- Lyle Crovisier Memorial Park
- Riverbend Park
- Westgate Park
During your trip, here are some other places to visit:
- History Museum of East Otter Tail County
- Thumper Pond Golf Course
- Historic Holmes Theater
Detroit Lakes is also popular for its:
- Snowmobile riding
Best Time to Visit Detroit Lakes
Decide when you'd like to visit Detroit Lakes by reviewing the seasonal weather details below:
- The hottest months are typically July and August, while January and February are the coldest months
- January-March: Daytime temperatures average 45° F and nighttime temperatures average -3° F
- April-June: 81° F is the daytime average and 24° F is the nighttime average
- July-September: Daytime averages are around 83° F and nighttime averages are around 40° F
- October-December: The average temperatures are 63° F during the day and 0° F at night
- Average rainfall is 27.28 inches in a year
How to Get to Detroit Lakes and Around the Area
Detroit Lakes Transportation
|Fargo, ND (FAR-Hector Intl.) ||Airport ||46.8 mi (75.4 km) |
|Detroit Lakes Station ||Train Station ||0.1 mi (0.1 km) |