When was it for you? The first time she made you laugh? The first time he spent the holidays with your family? Sometimes romance is about the little things, like walking along the boardwalk or sharing bites of rich chocolate cake. And you know what really sets the tone? A timeless, romantic destination.
We sifted through over 400,000 social conversations that used phrases like “date ideas,” “first date,” “romance,” and “got engaged” to find the dreamiest places in the country. Of the places listed, we narrowed it down to the top towns and cities mentioned, per capita. Without further ado, here are the 14 most romantic places in Canada.
Is it really a surprise to see the Lake Louise-Banff area at the top of the list? With sweeping scenery, crisp mountain air, and the feeling of grace that seeps into your pores and imagination, this exquisite area is one of the most romantic destinations in Canada.
- Lake Louise Gondola – Take your love on a ride as you tower over the postcard-pretty views.
- Banff Upper Hot Springs – It’s iconic for a reason. Slip into the famous Banff Upper Hot Springs with your favourite person.
- Dog sledding – If you and your partner haven’t tried dog sledding yet, Banff is the place to do it! Sign up with Kingmik Dog Sled Tours for a whirl through the snow.
- Tubing – Speaking of snow, if you visit the area during Jack Frost’s season, try your hand at some couples tubing on Mount Norquay.
- Wine and dine – With a good drink and epic views outside the windows, you can’t beat a whimsical meal at local favourites like Three Ravens Restaurant & Wine Bar and Maclab Bistro.
Nestled in the heart of Cape Breton Island, Baddeck is known for the fresh air from Bras d’Or Lake and easy access to the Cabot Trail. For a weekend getaway, Baddeck tops the list.
- Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site – If you and your beau are constantly texting and calling, you have a certain gentleman to thank—namely, Alexander Graham Bell. Check out the museum and lush grounds during your charming holiday.
- Kayaking – Couples that paddle together stay together. See Baddeck from a whole new side when you book a few hours with North River Kayak Tours for a journey around the island.
- Wine and dine – Using seasonal ingredients, the 12-seat Bite House is one of the hottest restaurants in Baddeck.
Windsor is a place of firsts. It’s been called the birthplace of hockey, and is host to quirky pumpkin weighing contests. So, if you’re looking for a first kiss (or other firsts), this romantic town is the place to be.
- Avon River Days – With the sun warming your skin and a chorus of good cheer around you, the Avon River Days is a top-notch summer festival to enjoy with your partner.
- Ski Martock – When the snow is soft as sugar, sign up for a ski pass with your love on Ski Martock.
- Wine and dine – For dinner in a unique setting, don’t miss Cocoa Pesto. This charming restaurant is located inside the restored Woodshire Inn, which was built in the 1850s. Top menu picks include dry-rub ribs and homemade sauces.
Located on Chaleur Bay, Bathurst is known for its sea breezes and salty shores. Remember to pack the flip-flops on your romantic vacation!
- Farmers Market – If you and your love are into local goods and organic products, a stroll through Bathurst Farmer’s Market is the perfect date idea in the city.
- Golf – Get those strokes up to par when you and your partner get swinging at Gowan Brae Golf & Country Club.
- Living museum – Are you two history buffs? Then you’re going to love the Village Historique Acadien, a living museum around 40 minutes out of the bustle of town that portrays what life was like in the area from 1770s to the 1940s.
- Wine and dine – A good bowl of tagliatelle carbonara is priceless. Take your partner to Auberge de la vallee, a French eatery that specializes in pasta and cheese plates.
With its location on Baffin Island, Iqaluit is not only the capital of Nunavut but is also a cultural hot spot of the territory.
- Northern Lights – You want romance? Witnessing the Northern Lights is one of the most romantic things to do with your partner.
- Alianait Arts Festival – One of the best parts of coming home from a vacation is bringing some of it back with you. Pluck out a piece of beauty with your love at the Alianait Arts Festival.
- Wine and dine – Treat yourself and your significant other to a thick steak or freshly caught fish at Waters’ Edge Seafood and Steakhouse.
You’ll want to bring the camera, because Charlottetown isn’t just romantic, it’s pretty to boot. Enjoy sights like red brick buildings, old-fashioned window arches, and quaint markets promising treasures.
- Book hunting – Brush up on your sonnets and love tales when you shop at Bookmark, an independently owned bookshop known for author signings.
- Peakes Wharf Boat Cruises – Get out on the open waters with your favourite first mate. See the harbour from Peakes Wharf Boat Cruises and enjoy a few splashes of the good stuff with their licensed canteen.
- Wine and dine – They say that oysters are the way to the heart. Enjoy a few for yourselves when you stop into the popular Claddagh Oyster House.
There are few places that match St. John’s. The twinkling lights downtown, the coloruful art galleries, and the fresh sea breeze swirling through the avenues create an atmosphere of old-time movies.
- Pottery – If you’ve re-watched “Ghost” a million times with your partner, put a pottery date at CLAY CAFÉ on your to-do list.
- Lighthouse Picnics – When was the last time you two went on a picnic? Take the scenic route from town to Ferryland Lighthouse and reserve your locally produced lunch from Lighthouse Picnics. You don’t get a better view than this.
- Breweries – Sometimes the most romantic ideas for him (and her) is to grab a tasty beer from a rock star brewery. As it so happens, St. John’s is known as prime place to grab a pint. Take your sweetie on a tasting tour of ales at Quidi Vidi Brewing.
- Wine and dine – Treat your partner to a fabulous meal at the highly-regarded Blue on Water. Or, if they’re a pizza lover, don’t miss a slice at the very popular Piatto Pizzeria + Enoteca.
With charming parade boats floating by in summer and a swing bridge adorning the landscape, Little Current is a charming destination to put on your must-see list.
- Ice cream – Split a cone at one of the most popular ice cream shops in town: 3 Cows and a Cone.
- Horseback riding – Is there anything more romantic than a horseback journey through the countryside? Book a tour through Honora Bay Riding Stable and ride into the sunset with your beau.
- Wine and dine – Looking to share a healthy bite in town? Make a stop at the Island Jar, where you can enjoy menu items like Thai mushroom soup and chicken aioli sandwiches.
Given its proximity to scenic road trips around the shoreline and plenty of good wine, Gander is the start to countless of idyllic vacations.
- Festival of Flight – Tilt your head to the skies when you and your boo attend the popular Festival of Flight in summer.
- Road trip – Rev up your engines and cruise along the scenic Road to the Isles, a route that takes you around the island of Notre Dame Bay.
- Wine and dine – Pop the corks and raise the forks, because a date night at Bistro on Roe is sheer elegance. Watch your knife sink into favourites like the duck breast with maple and dried cherries, or the blueberry and Newman’s Port scallops.
With hoppy brews and a charming downtown, it’s no surprise that Fredericton ranks high on the romantic destinations list.
- Breweries – If you and your partner love trying out new hops, you can’t miss the breweries of Fredericton. Try out spots like Grimross, Gray Stone Brewing, and Picaroons. You can also enjoy a host of tastes when you attend the Fredericton Craft Beer Festival.
- Beaverbrook Art Gallery – Take your partner’s hand and admire the bold colours and abstract shapes at Beaverbrook Art Gallery.
- Theatre – Catch a production when you and your bae head to the Playhouse Fredericton or Theatre New Brunswick. You’ll also want to check the calendar at the Charlotte Street Arts Centre, which is always putting on new events.
- Downtown – If you and your love don’t have plans for the day, stroll through Downtown Fredericton and pop into any shop or café that strikes your fancy.
- Wine and dine – Hear those glasses clink as you walk into 540 Kitchen & Bar. This gastropub is the perfect spot to grab well-crafted drinks and flavour-packed entrees.
Known for star-gazing and the great outdoors, Parry Sound is the perfect spot for a romantic jaunt.
- Jazz – Go old-school by dancing to jazz with your partner at the Festival of the Sound, which showcases classical music and jazz tunes.
- Art collection – Pick out something new for your house when you and your love walk through Art in the Park.
- Wine and dine – As all couples know, choosing your pizza toppings can be a heck of a negotiation. Luckily, you can find middle ground with options like Canadian bacon, arugula, and balsamic glaze at Maurizio’s.
Located on Cape Breton, the lighthouses and wind-whipped boardwalks make Sydney an enchanting destination in Nova Scotia.
- Boardwalk – Enjoy a long stroll along the boardwalk and take some silly pictures in front the World’s Largest Fiddle on the pier.
- Theatre – Treat your partner to orchestra seats when you visit the esteemed Theatre Savoy.
- Create something new – Relationships are all about creating new memories and new traditions. Learn something new when you sign up for a day class with Cape Breton Craft.
- Wine and dine – With seaside views, you won’t want to miss Flavour on the Water. Governors Pub and Eatery is another top pick, with locally caught seafood that melts in your mouth.
Often ranked as one of the most romantic cities in Canada, the capital of British Columbia is a can’t-miss when you’re looking for a getaway with your sweetie.
- Lattes and board games – Get into the nostalgic spirit when you and your partner sip on cappuccinos and play flashback board games at Interactivity Board Game Café.
- Kayaking – Is your honey an outdoorsy type? Rent kayaks from Ocean River Sports and see the city from a unique vantage point.
- Wine and dine – If and your partner are all about the organic life, you can’t visit Victoria without a stop at 10 Acres Kitchen. Almost every single ingredient is grown on its own organic farm or brought in from other organic, ethically minded sources. Oh, and yes, the food is exceptionally good.
Want to pull out all the stops for a weekend in a metropolis? Travel out to Vancouver, one of the most romantic cities in the country.
- Theatre – With a flurry of music, props, and narratives, there are few things that compare to a night of comedy improv at Vancouver TheatreSports® League.
- Grab a bite – If you’re in Vancouver, you have to stop by a JAPADOG cart. These hot dogs are loaded with unique Japanese toppings like seaweed, Yakisoba, and plum sauce.
- Festivals – Vancouver has an overflowing events calendar. Try to aim your trip during favourites like the Photography Festival or Eco Fashion Week.
In a world of Tinder swipes and FaceTime meetings, the art of dating can get lost in the shuffle—but not in these cities. These places still maintain a charm, an elegance, and the point of view that romance is very much alive and well. Cheers to you and your partner, and happy travels!