Ceiling fan fell onto the bed with sparks flying
I was standing beside the bed trying to put the bedlight on when my daughter clicked on a switch on the wall. There was an immediate loud "POP", sparks flying everywhere and as I looked up to see what was happening, the ceiling fan crashed onto the bed, and one of the blades hit me on the head. The night clerk was very concerned, offering a doctor, but I told him I wasn't seriously hurt. The next day, the female manager met with me to clarify all the details given to her by her night clerk and told me to contact Expedia who would give me a refund for the room as compensation for my fright. I have contacted Expedia who contacted the hotel who claim to have NO KNOWLEDGE of this incident and refuse the refund. There are no safety chains on any of their ceiling fans, the hotel is old and it could happen again to someone else. We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years as we live in Mexico 6 months of the year and in Ontario 6 months of the year and have to fly in and out of Puerto Vallarta from Toronto on our way further south. We will neverr stay in the Flamingo Hotel again.
Comment from Hotel Management
17-Nov-2016 by Ecommerce Manager, Hotel Management
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience. I inform you that Flamingo Vallarta Hotel will indeed refund your stay.
It is just a process where the hotel refunds Expedia who then refunds you. I thank you in advance for your patience.